Thursday, June 26, 2008

Unit II Lab Project

During this lab, I used the Wii Fit to help calculate blood pressure, respiratory rate, and pulse. When a person works out, their body needs to produce enough oxygen to replenish the body. When we test blood pressure you measure the systolic rate (“defined as the peak pressure in the arteries”). (www.wikipedia.com) We also test the diastolic rate “arterial pressure is the lowest pressure (at the resting phase of the cardiac cycle”. (www.wikipedia.com) We also tested the pulse rate, the “throbbing of their arteries as an effect of the heart beat”. (www.wikipedia.com) Finding the respiratory rate, you just calculate the number of respiration's in 30 seconds and times it by 2.


My hypothesis for this experiment is that when a person works out, I believe their blood pressure, respiration's, and pulse are going to go up. In the table below, I show what my hypothesis is for each activity.










In this chart I'm showing what my hypothesis for each activity will be. As you can see, I predict that as the activities intensify, the blood pressure, pulse rate and respiration rate will go up


















This is a picture of the watch that we used for the respiration rates and the electronic blood pressure monitor. All measurements were taken immediately after each activity. There was no resting period between activity and time of measurement.

















This is a picture of the Wii Fit game. If you aren't familiar with Wii fit, it's an interactive video game that is intended for physical fitness and weight loss.















This is a picture of my husband watching tv (The Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel) to get the baseline measurements. Thankfully, my wonderful husband did all the activities for me, as I would have probably died! ☺
















Here is a picture of my husband doing Wii Fit Ski Jump. This exercise is designed to help improve balance and requires very little energy and movement.













My husband is doing Wii Fit Push-Ups (10 push ups at a time.) This exercise is designed for upper body strength and requires quite a bit of exercise and movement. It definitely gets your blood moving.

















This is the Wii Fit Short Run. Basically its 3 minutes of running or jogging. Running is the best way to get your blood pumping and requires a ton of exercise and energy.























In all of these bar graphs, I know it is hard to read and I'm sorry! But the Purple bar is the Baseline rate, the red bar is the Wii Fit Ski, the yellow bar is the Wii Fit Push-ups, and the aqua color bar is the Wii Fit Short Run...I tried to make them bigger but it didn't work.

My hypothesis was correct for the most part. From the baseline measurement the averages were pulse was 67.6, respiration was 16.4 and blood pressure was 107.4/63.6. As we went on with the other activities all the variables increased, but very slightly, they didn't increase that much, or at least as much as I thought. In the Wii Fit Short run the averages were pulse 86, Respiration 22, and blood pressure 141.6/64.6. I thought that during this whole process that the averages would have been more defined and not close together.

The problems that came up with our lab is that for the short run, it doesn’t pace you at all. It just give you 3 minutes to run, but no pace meter. Without the pace meter we couldn’t tell if my husband was running at the same speed or if he was slower or faster than the previous run. I also think it would be more accurate if you were doing the blood pressure testing while exercising. I would have my husband sit down to take the blood pressure, and you could tell he was calming down after a minute or so of sitting. I know it would be pretty hard to do that, but I think it would be a little more accurate.

When people exercise their blood pressure, pulse rate, and respiratory rate increase slightly. Depending on how much work your activity is, the differences will vary. It makes complete sense that the more you work out the more your heart has to pump in order to get more oxygen to the body. The more your heart pumps, the faster you pulse rate will be. When you work out, the blood enters your lungs to get more oxygen, in which your respiratory rate will go up. The blood pressure will go up because your heart is working very hard to produce new blood to get circulated.

No comments: