Thursday, June 26, 2008

Unit II Evaluation

Self and Unit Evaluation

1. I’m really proud of the second compendium that I wrote. I think I’m finally starting to get them down! I’m also proud of both labs that I did. I spent a good amount of time on them and I think they came out well. I’m also proud of my lab write up. I had fun with this one, although I think my husband differs ☺

2. I think I could have used some help with the first compendium that I wrote but I think after the second one I wrote I’m a little more confident in it. I think my ethical essay could have used some improvement. I liked the topic but I just couldn’t get the right words out!

3. I think I should get a low A. I really liked all these topics and I think I did a better job this time around.

4. I think I could spend a little more time on some of the projects. I don’t think I spent as much time this time around



1. I really felt engaged when I was doing to food exercise. It really put into perspective what I ate and how it affected my daily intakes.

2. I think I felt distanced from this unit when it came down to the ethical issue.

3. The directions for the lab write up were very clear. They also helped me while I was doing to lab write up and the lab itself.

4. I don’t think anything really confused me this time!

5. Like I stated in question 1, I was really surprised with the food lab. I think it’s crazy that people eat all the time and don’t realize what they are consuming. I know I could benefit using that more often!

1 comment:

Larry Frolich said...

Sarah Brantner
COMPENDIUM MAJOR TOPIC ONE: OXYGEN, MICROBES, IMMUNITY:
Compendiums both look great. Really well organized, nice table of contents, sources citeed. Perhaps a bit more detail on some topics that are just lists of structures, but generally your level of detail is also good. Nice work.

COMPENDIUM MAJOR TOPIC TWO: NUTRITION:


LAB MAJOR TOPIC ONE: BLOOD PRESSURE
Look perfect to me!

LAB MAJOR TOPIC TWO: A DAY OF FOOD
Also, looks perfect. High salt is what I most see in virtually every single student!

LAB PROJECT: EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY:

Well, obviously great sport on the part of your husband and a really great lab design and write-up. In a hypothesis for a lab like this, you probably wouldn’t want to be so specific about actual numbers, but just whether you thin the numbers will go up or down or maybe a qualititave idea of how much—a lot, a little…it’s o.k. to be so specific in your predictions, but unlikely you’ll get data that will exactly match them so you’ll almost always “reject” your hypothesis, even though your justifications are probably good.

I like the way you tell a story, show the great activities…my 8-year old loves that show about the King Crab fishing—it is somehow compelling…I’m surprised his heart-beat didn’t go up more there…I’m always terrified watching it!
And the use of the Wii was a great idea. More than anything your analysis of problems with the experiment—how long it takes to get the readings, how long the run is, etc. were great. Good work!



ETHICAL ISSUE ESSAY: WHAT IS FOOD:
I think you are right that with how hard people work it is hard to make changes. A slow economy might lead people to eat more at home and go back to nutiriton roots???