Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Online Lab: Leech Neurons









1. An electrode is the machine that measures the amount of activity in neurons. The device "delivers electric shock" to a patient or specimen to stimulate cells.
2. The leech is used for medical purposes because many people don't think anything when a leech is killed. Leeches also have a high number of neurons and cells for how small of a creature they are.
3. A motor neuron is when the impulses are going away from the central nervous system. A sensory neuron is when the impulses are going to the central nervous system.
4. I believe that the leech does feel pain. In our text book, the definition for pain receptor is "Sensory receptor that is sensitive to chemicals released by damaged tissues or excess stimuli of heat or pressure" Leeches do have sensory receptors and pain in inflicted on the leech, so it does feel pain.
5. I really like this lab because you can use the dye and the UV light to see the neurons more clearly. I also like that you could stimulate the neurons with different objects to see what stimulates them even more.
6. I really liked this lab and I think it is a great representation of what neurons do when they are stimulated. The only thing I didn't like about this lab, was that you couldn't adjust the screen size, which made it hard to see. I wish the images would have been a bit bigger.

No comments: